Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Programs
A Compounding Pharmacy is able to customize bio-identical hormone prescriptions to suit the needs of all patients. The pharmacy will use only high quality sources of bio-identical hormones, which will most likely come from organic soy or yams. Compounded Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy involves the art of using hormones that are identical in molecular and structural function to the body’s hormones to supplement latent and present hormonal deficiencies in men and women of all ages. Because bio-identical hormones are equivalent to the body’s hormones, most people do not experience harsh side effects and can enjoy the benefits of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy.
Because hormones are responsible for countless bodily functions, insufficient amounts can cause several bodily functions to suffer. Hormones can become deficient for many reasons, and most often, they become deficient with aging. Sex hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone all may decline due to aging. Other hormones, which are made in the adrenal glands, such as DHEA, pregnenolone, and cortisol, may reduce with stress. Thyroid hormone can also be affected by imbalances within other hormones. A compounded bio-identical hormone prescription can help to simultaneously balance all of these hormones and prevent the issues that can occur with age related hormone decline.
Compounded Bioidentical Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone
Compounded Estrogen is identical to the estrogen made in a woman’s body, and supplementation can help to support countless functions in a woman’s body. While there are three types of estrogen, it is possible to supplement the form that protects against breast cancer and estrogen dominance. Estrogen is one of the primary female sex hormones, and it helps women to keep a feminine appearance by helping them to have full breasts, produce collagen to prevent wrinkles, and have lustrous hair and nails. It also works to reduce vaginal dryness, protect brain functions and memory, and it may play a role in preventing Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Bio-identical Compounded Progesterone is completely different from other forms of progesterone that have been made from horse urine. This type of progesterone is made from plant products and has an identical structure to a woman’s progesterone. Progesterone works to balance estrogen, and it also helps to regulate the menstrual cycle, fertility, and ovulation. Without progesterone, the menstrual cycle and fertility would not be possible. Women going through a loss of progesterone may experience bloating and water retention because it is a natural diuretic, and they may also experience irregular periods, painful periods, increased PMS, and amenorrhea. Supplementing progesterone with a compounded bio-identical hormone prescription can help women prevent these unwanted symptoms.
Compounded Testosterone can help both men and women regain libido, endurance and stamina, muscle mass, and energy. Because testosterone fuels the production of red blood cells, it can help to prevent anemia. While testosterone is the primary male sex hormones, it helps both men and women to prevent fatigue, muscle atrophy, poor workout performances, and low libido. In men, it can help to improve erectile dysfunction, hair loss, sleep, moods, and bone density. Regaining adequate testosterone stores has allowed men and women to improve their overall health and wellness levels.
Symptoms of a Hormone Imbalance
1. You’ve developed your mother’s hot flashes. This is a classic symptom of hormone imbalance and typical during menopause. Why do women experience hot flashes during this time? Hot flashes are a result of changing levels of estrogen and progesterone. However, hot flashes aren’t just for menopause. A cortisol imbalance, the culprit behind adrenal fatigue, will also cause these symptoms.
2. You’re always tired. OK, we’re all tired, but this is different. When your hormones are out of whack, day after day you can’t get out of your own way. The fatigue you experience is more like that of a illness-related fatigue. Sufferers frequently wake up tired and describe themselves as “running on fumes” during the day.
3. You’re irritable and cranky. People who have a cortisol, testosterone, or estrogen imbalance frequentlySticky note – “respect my hormones.” Five signs you have a hormone imbalance have mood swings and irritability. Anxiety and depression are common experiences as well.
4. You can’t sleep. If you have a hormone imbalance insomnia may be a frequent visitor – you have trouble falling and staying asleep. When the body lacks proper function of the hormones cortisol and melatonin quality sleep goes right out the window.
5. Your skin isn’t the same. Have you noticed changes in your skin and hair – wondering if it’s just simply because you’re getting older? Hormones can cause dry skin, hair loss, and brittle nails.
Treating a Hormone Imbalance
While hormone imbalances are common, it can be tricky to decipher if you’re a sufferer. Why? Signs and symptoms are common of many health problems, making detection difficult. A healthy lifestyle can reduce triggers, but it’s in your best interest to work through this process with a practitioner who has a knowledge of hormones and the role they play on health.
What’s the best way to achieve a definitive diagnoses? First, test your hormone levels. We recommend having your cortisol values determined via a 4-point salivary test. Saliva has been proven to be a better source of cortisol testing than blood testing – offering concrete results. This test is one we are proud to provide our clients.
You Have a Hormone Imbalance – Now What?
OK it’s official, you have a hormone imbalance – what now? Once you’ve tested you’ve had your levels tested, you may start by addressing the underlying causes of the imbalance by: Cleaning up your diet Reducing your stress Getting more exercise
While these lifestyle changes may help, for many a more serious intervention is necessary. You may want to consider hormone replacement options. There are many solutions available and we see our patients have great success with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT).
At Atlas Drug and Nutrition, we believe BHRT will help rescue you from the perils of hormones and we are excited to get started. Contact us today to schedule your 4-point salivary test. Knowledge is power and in this case a simple test can give you the power to take back your life.